i have experienced 2 incidences with HEET so far when trying to cook with it. The first incident involved breathing in the fumes from the burning gas. I can’t really smell any odor, just felt the heat. Breathing in the burning exhaust is enough to cause health problems. I cooked outdoors, but there wasn’t a lot of wind.
The side effects I felt were a weird buggy effect with my eyes. It last about 30 minutes. I definitely didn’t feel very good and made sure to watch any inhaling of the fumes after that.
The second incident, I got some liquid on my finger. It had an instant cooling effect that felt different. 20 minutes later that part of my finger started to feel numb. I never tried to wash it off. It seemed to evaporate quickly off my finger, but it may have left some toxic residue (methyl?) behind. When I went for a walk, I started to feel more dizziness and disease. It was not pleasant. I believe only my finger was exposed, but I could have been exposed in another way not known it.
HEET is very concerning to use. It is supposed to be one of the cheapest fuel sources to cook with. But you need to be extremely careful with it. Nothing can come into contact with your tissues, through vapor or liquid contact. The HEET is a very strong solvent that will acidify your blood and destroy nerves, and it doesn’t take much to start affecting your health. I only inhaled 4 or 5 times around the fire and I only got a small drop on my finger. It takes effect in the smallest doses.